"Brian Joslyn is an Award-Winning Criminal and DUI Defense attorney who, along with his team at The Joslyn Law Firm, have handled hundreds of criminal cases and helping their clients obtain the best results possible."

Bail and Bonds in Columbus, OH

The first question an individual may ask when they are arrested is, “How can I get out of jail?” The answer is that the judge will either grant or deny bail. In considering whether or not to grant bail, the judge will consider the following factors:

  • Whether the defendant is a flight risk;
  • Whether the defendant has any connections in his or her local community; and
  • Whether the defendant has failed to appear for any court date.

Often, an individual will be required to find a bail bondsman, post their own bail, or have their lawyer post bail. It is generally better to hire an experienced criminal defense lawyer in Columbus prior to posting your bail. They can begin assisting you in your defense immediately and will represent you at your subsequent hearing.

Columbus Bail Bond Lawyer

It is important to hire a knowledgeable attorney to help you post your bond and represent your case at subsequent hearings in Columbus, and the surrounding areas in Ohio, including Delaware, Dublin, Westerville, London, West Jefferson, Newark, Lancaster, Circleville, Pataskala, Pickerington and Ashville.

Brian Joslyn of the Joslyn Law Firm is knowledgeable in all areas of Columbus criminal law will make every effort to help you achieve the best possible outcome for your particular situation. Call the Joslyn Law Firm at (614) 444-1900 for a consultation today.

Back to top

Types of Bond in Columbus

If the alleged offender’s bail granted, the defendant must post their bail. Posting bail can be done through posting cash, some type of property, or a bail bond. The bond is a form of security for the release of the defendant, who must appear in court at a later time. Bail may take any of the following forms:

  • A Cash Bond – This type of bail requires the defendant to deposit an amount set by the judge with the court.
  • A Surety Bond – This type of bail requires the defendant to have a bail bondsman intervene on his or her behalf and post a promissory note for the full amount of the bond. In return, the bondsman typically will receive a one-time fee of approximately 10% to 15% of the bond amount.
  • A Cash Bond or Appearance Bond – This type of bail requires the defendant to deposit 10% of the bond amount, with the other 90% of the bond to be paid if the defendant fails to appear at any future court dates. If the defendant consistently appears, the defendant will be entitled to a refund of the full amount deposited.
  • A Recognizance Bond – This type of bail is essentially the defendant’s signed statement, promising to appear at all future court dates. Failure to appear at any subsequent hearings can result in an additional criminal charge.

Back to top

Release from a Columbus Jail

Once bail has been posted, the defendant will either be released immediately or within a period of several hours, depending on the size and capacity of the jail. After being released, the defendant will be given his or her next court date. The entire bail amount will be refunded to either the defendant or the bail bondsman if the defendant complies with all future court appearances.

Back to top

Joslyn Law Firm | Bail Attorney in Columbus

Contact the Joslyn Law Firm today for a consultation about your posting bail for your alleged criminal charges in Columbus, Ohio. It is important to hire a knowledgeable Columbus criminal defense lawyer to represent you in all aspects of your criminal case. Call (614) 444-1900 for a consultation about your bail bond and criminal allegations in Franklin County and surrounding counties, including Pickaway County, Madison County, Delaware County, Licking County and Fairfield County in Ohio.

Request Your Free Consultation

Free Consultation

All fields are required.

In The News

Check Out Our Latest Video

Fox 28, NBC 4, ABC 6, WBNS 10 - CBS, The Columbus Dispatch, the Plain Dealer

Client Satisfaction Is Our Priority

Hear It From Former Clients