Financing a Criminal Defense Lawyer in Columbus, OH
Once you find a trustworthy lawyer to assist with your legal defense, you achieve a vital objective. Typically, the next step presents an even more difficult hurdle – financing your legal defense.
Financing your legal defense is one of the most crucial and pressing issues on any defendant’s mind. Without an in-depth consultation, there is no one solution. In determining what means and methods are available to you in financing your legal defense, the following factors must be carefully considered:
Without an in-depth consultation, there is no one solution. In determining what means and methods are available to you in financing your legal defense, the following factors must be carefully considered:
- Whether you have been charged and/or convicted under state or federal law;
- Whether these charges and/or convictions involve a felony or a misdemeanor;
- The degree of felony or misdemeanor;
- Whether these are single or multiple charges;
- Your prior criminal history;
- Available evidence to support your defense (e.g., witness statements, affidavits, video and/or other evidence)
- Other factors specific to your individual case
Joslyn Law Firm Is On Your Side
No matter what your financial circumstances may be, the Joslyn Law Firm will work with you to accommodate your particular financial situation. At this trying moment in your life, you deserve the most effective legal services possible and the Joslyn Law Firm offers a variety of payment options for you to consider.
What to Expect When You Hire the Joslyn Law Firm
Before quoting a fee, the Joslyn Law Firm examines the specific facts of your case and takes individual mitigating circumstances into account when determining costs.
When you hire Brian Joslyn of the Joslyn Law Firm, you are employing experience, reputation, and commitment to quality service. You will benefit from personalized attention, knowledge and genuine interest in your case.
When hiring any attorney you should think about the value of your time, your life, your reputation, and your liberty. Just one criminal charge or conviction can turn your life upside down. How much is one year, five years or ten years worth to you and your loved ones?
Your legal counsel can potentially reduce or even eliminate restraints on your freedom and assist in putting your life back on track. The Joslyn Law Firm is dedicated to the following services, among others:
- Strategizing your unique defense;
- Fighting for just bail arrangements;
- Challenging police reports;
- Bringing law enforcement abuses to light;
- Ensuring the protection of your constitutional rights;
- Objecting to illegal arrests, searches and seizures;
- Filing motions to suppress evidence against you;
- Seeking the intervention of independent investigators;
- Accurately adhering to the rules of criminal procedure, such as developing expert testimony when needed, challenging the credibility of opposing witnesses, and probing to effectively discredit the prosecution’s case against you; and/or
- Negotiating plea bargains when necessary.
When Financing Your Legal Defense Beware of Bargains
“Affordable Fees” – The cliché is true, “you get what you pay for.” In determining how to finance your legal defense, beware of language in brochures and on websites, enticing you with “affordable” fees up front. How can an attorney estimate the cost of your defense without understanding the unique circumstances of your case?
“Pay-As-You-Go” Agreements – You should avoid “pay-as-you-go” contracts, which allow you to pay as the case progresses. The problem with this arrangement is that pretrial preparation is important to an effective defense. If you run out of funds in the middle of your case and your attorney cannot adequately prepare for trial, the result can be detrimental to your case in the long term. A competent and capable attorney who is confident in his or her abilities will charge a flat fee up front and vigorously pursue your defense from beginning to end.
No Hidden Costs – Beware of attorneys who charge fees for the participation of other lawyers or support staff needed for the completion of your defense. Your attorney should provide full disclosure of all costs involved. Should the intervention of other professionals, such as investigators or other non-legal staff, become necessary, your law firm should be able to provide all of the required legal services on the basis of your up-front fee. If your attorneys decide to seek outside support, they are required to discuss fee splits with you. When calculating potential extrinsic fees, a good rule of thumb is to estimate 10% of your legal fees for this purpose.
The Attorney-Client Trust Account
The money that you pay for legal fees is required to be held in an attorney-client trust account. Your attorney is the custodian of this money, and must not use it for any purposes other than the pursuit of your defense. Your attorney must utilize it only when needed, and only in furtherance of your benefit. It is illegal for your attorney to earn interest or profit from such an account. Make sure that your firm is reputable by investigating its level of competence and reputation through the state bar examiners, Better Business Bureau ratings, client testimonials, and word-of-month.
Payment Methods and Options
Although the Joslyn Law Firm requires full payment in advance, Brian Joslyn understands that legal fees often arise unexpectedly and typical families do not budget for that purpose. Most people require assistance in financing their legal needs, and there are many options available. The most obvious of these alternatives include family members, friends, credit cards and home equity. When exploring your options, please contact us.
Personal Loans – Secured and Unsecured
Personal loans can be used to finance your legal defense, along with other personal needs, such as education, travel or to purchase personal items. Personal loans can either be secured or unsecured.
- Unsecured Loans – With an unsecured loan, three criteria must be established, including your credit history, which can be less than perfect, your employment, and your residence. Unlike secured loans, you do not need to put up collateral in order to qualify.
- Collateral is any personal or real property asset given by the debtor to the lender as security in the event that the debtor defaults. The disadvantage of unsecured loans is that they often carry a higher interest rate than secured loans, due to the lack of collateral. Prior to requesting an unsecured loan, it is important to assess the rate at which you can repay. Also, you should ensure that the amount of the loan does not exceed your ability to repay. If the loan exceeds your means and you cannot repay it methodically or quickly, you will encounter an excessive interest rate over the life of the loan. The average personal loan maximum is $15,000. Consult with your attorney about which option is best for you.
- Secured Loans – Unlike unsecured loans, the interest rate on secured loans is considerably lower. The problem with secured loans is that you must produce collateral on the loan. The lender will retain the collateral assets as security in the event of your default. Some may view the secured loan as more advantageous than an unsecured loan due to the lower interest rates. However, the secured loan is available only to debtors who are able to produce collateral.
- Where To Apply For Personal Loans – You can apply for a personal loan from a bank, a broker or a private investment company.
- The Difference between a Personal Loan and Line of Credit – A personal loan is a lump sum of money issued by a lender. Although similar to a personal loan, a line of credit offers access to funds on an as needed basis.
Real Property Loans
A real property loan is secured by real property. Real property is defined as any structure, dwelling, land, or enclosure which qualifies as a living space or is used for commercial or other purposes. Real property may also include mobile homes which are affixed, or connected to a structure the mobile unit shares gas, utilities and/or electrical facilities. Security on a real property loan includes, but is not limited to a mortgage, deed or contract the debtor has assumed. The mortgage, deed or contract securing the loan must specifically describe the debtor and his obligations under the document and must be repaid as defined in the document.
Home Equity Loans
Home equity loans are only available to those who either intend to buy or have paid off their home. This type of loan is an alternative to a personal loan, and may offer tax advantages unavailable to those applying for personal loans. Home equity loans can afford you the opportunity of borrowing more money than personal loans, due to the fact that you are borrowing against the equity in your home. The loan depends upon the dollar amount that you have invested in your home. The advantage of a home equity loan is that it carries a much lower interest rate than a personal loan. The disadvantage is that your home is attached to the loan.
Refinancing a property at low-interest rates can enable you to obtain cash for discretionary spending. You may be able to lower your monthly payments at the lower rate, including cash withdrawal.
Credit Card Payments
We accept all major credit cards.
Pawn Shop Loans
To obtain a pawn shop loan, you can take small valuable items, such as jewelry, antiques, electronic appliances, etc. to be appraised and used to obtain a loan based on the quoted amount. The difficulty with this type of loan is that the pawn broker will often offer you a sum far below the actual value of the item. Also, if you use this method, the loan must be repaid within 30 days; otherwise, the pawn broker retains rights in the item and can sell it to anyone.
Title loans are available only to automobile owners, with a maturity rate of 30 days and up to 25% interest in some cases. With a title loan, you retain ownership and use of your vehicle, but title belongs to the lender for the life of the loan and until payment is made in full. The amount available for borrowing depends upon your vehicle’s model, brand, working condition, and cannot exceed half of the value of your vehicle. Typically, the amount goes up to a few thousand dollars. Failure to repay the loan can result in a forfeiture of the vehicle to the lender, who can then sell it at will.
Internet Resources For Financing Your Legal Defense and Other Needs
MyLegalLoan.com assists people in paying their legal fees. Loan amounts and interest rates depend upon your income, your credit history, and your debt-to-income ratio. This resource offers you affordable means of repayment based on your credit history and customizes its plans to suit your budget. For those with a poor credit history, a co-signer may be used. If you pay off your debt within 12 months, MyLegalLoan.com offers you an interest rebate program. For further information, call (800) 708-0208 or download the required form here.
Americas Banker Direct offers loans from $100 to $1,500 to applicants who qualify. This site has a database of lenders where your information is forwarded after filling out the required form. The requirements for obtaining a loan are as follows:
- Current employment or steady, recurring income;
- An active checking or savings account;
- You must be 18 years of age or older;
- Your monthly gross income must be at least $1,000; and
- You must be a U.S. resident.
The cost of a payday advance for this loan is typically 25%-35% of the money borrowed, but the exact amount is disclosed upon completion of all paperwork from the lender. Be sure to read all documents before signing them. You will not be committed to the loan until you have affixed your signature to the documents.
The amount of the loan will be deposited into your bank account on the next business day, but may take longer.
HDFC Bank Loans provides assistance with all types of loans, including personal, small draft, home, automobile, cash back, education, property, healthcare and a variety of other loans.
Your Online Payday Loan Center does not charge for its services. You can submit information either online or via phone, and an assigned lender will contact you to complete the application process. Once all procedures have been followed, you will receive your loan electrically. The qualifying requirements are as follows:
- Current employment or regular income;
- Income must be at least $800 per month;
- You must be 18 or older;
- You must have a savings or checking account;
- You must not be active in the military.
Other Resources For Financing Your Legal Defense In Ohio
Below are listings of resources which may be useful in helping to finance your legal defense. Please note that the lists are not exhaustive.
Cash Advance Locations
ACE Cash Express
See “Store Locator” search field
1255 Parsons Avenue
Check Into Cash Advance Centers
2117 Eakin Road
First American Cash Advance
First American Cash Advance
3329 E. Broad Street
517 E. Livingston Ave.
Pawn Shop Locations
Uncle Sam’s Pawn Shop
Uncle Sam’s Pawn
225 E. Main Street
BUY HERE, SELL HERE Pawn Shop
1257 West Broad Street
Lev’s Pawn Shop
999 West Broad Street
Luigi’s Pawn Shop
1245 North High Street
E Z Cash Pawn Shop
517 East Livingston Avenue
Fees, Cost, and Paying for a Criminal Lawyer in Columbus, OH
Call the Joslyn Law Firm today to discuss the best financial arrangement possible for your particular situation at (614) 444-1900, or fill out a confidential and secure intake form. During the initial consultation, we can discuss the attorney fees and costs that will be needed to fight your case. We can also help you come up with a reasonable payment plan or ways to finance the defense.
Don’t let finances come between you and the best defense. Call us to discuss your options.
This article was last updated on Friday, April 5, 2018.