Bail and Bonds

We have a proven track record of success in handling over 15,000 criminal cases and are consistently awarded as one of Ohio’s Best Criminal Defense Firms. We treat our clients like family with a non-judgmental approach. Knowledge is power in any situation. We are here to help educate you about your circumstances. Use our resources below to contact us and learn how we can help you.

Begin Your Defense Today: (614) 444-1900 Begin Your Defense Today:
(614) 444-1900

Typically when someone gets arrested, the first thing they want to know is when they will get out of jail. Now, this depends on whether or not the judge will grant or deny bail. Judges will consider the following factors when they are deciding:

Is the defendant at a risk of fleeing?

Does the defendant have any connections in their local community?

Has the defendant failed to appear for any court date?

Typically, the person who was arrested will need to post their own bail if they have the funds, find a bail bondsman, or have their attorney post their bail. It’s generally better to hire an experienced attorney prior to posting bail, so they can help with the person’s defense immediately and can represent them at their next hearing.

Types of Bond

If bail is granted by the judge, the defendant must post their bail to get out of jail. This can be done through cash, some type of property, or a bail bond. Bonds are a form of security for the release of the alleged offender, who must appear in court later. Bail typically takes the form of:

Cash Bond This type of bail requires the defendant to pay the amount set by the judge.

Surety Bond Requires the defendant to have a bail bondsman intervene and post a promissory note for the full amount of the bond. In exchange, the bondsman will take a one-time fee of 10%-15% of the total bond amount.

Cash Bond or Appearance Bond Requires the defendant to deposit 10% of the bond amount, with the other 90% to be paid if the defendant fails to appear at any future court dates. If the defendant shows up to all their court dates, they will be entitled to a full refund of the 10% deposit.

Recognizance Bond This is a signed statement from the defendant that they promise to appear at all future court dates. Failure to appear can result in additional criminal charges.
Regardless of the type of bond, once the defendant has appeared at all of their court dates, the bail will be refunded to either the defendant or the bondsman.

At Joslyn Law Firm, all of our attorneys are knowledgeable about the Ohio justice system and will work to get you the most favorable outcome. Give us a call today for a free consultation about posting bail for your alleged criminal charges. (614) 444-1900

Also feel free to visit our site to learn more. (

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *